Oct 13, 2009

Straight Science Fiction

Last week while I was sitting at the Circulation Desk a teenage girl came up to me and asked for help finding a science fiction book to read. The kicker was, her teacher absolutely refused to accept anything but straight science fiction and absolutely, positively NO crossovers into such genres as horror or fantasy. This left me scratching my head for a minute.

Which it shouldn't have.

I mean how many of you automatically thought of Douglas Adam's Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy or Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game? Because I didn't. At least not at first.

Fortunately I'm not the only one at my library who reads books from the young adult section; my co-worker S. happened to overhear the girl and suggested those, along with a couple others: practically anything Scott Westerfeld, Mary E. Pearson's The Adoration of Jenna Fox, and a couple of ones from the adult section which I don't remember now.

The girl ended up checking out Westerfeld's Uglies and I was left with the realization that here was a genre amongst Young Adult Fiction which I was sorely lacking in experience. This is something which must be remedied so I'm asking whoever is out there to send your recommendations my way. It doesn't have to be 'straight science fiction' as this girls stubborn teacher was insisting (so it can have cross-over appeal) but it does have to be written for or something that appeals to a young adult audience.

I can't wait to hear your recommendations!

1 comment:

Cath said...

Hi... wandered in here via the new Historical challenge site and stopped to read when I saw you read YA literature.

Philip Reeve's Mortal Engines series is, imo anyway, pure science fiction. I love those to bits, so imaginative and with interesting characters - real pageturners. His Larklight series for younger readers is not bad either.